Senior Constable Bruce Mellor underwent surgery last night for multiple skull fractures and horrendous defensive wounds following a machete attack by two youths he stopped to question about their erratic driving.
"He spoke to the two occupants, one just 14 years old and the other aged 18, and headed back to his patrol car to do checks. He was then hit on the back and side of the head by one of the boys using the blunt side of a machete."
- New Zealand Police Minister Judith Collin says she will be raising the issue of officers patrolling alone with Police Commissioner Howard Broad. She says it is not the first time a lone officer has been attacked in a rural environment.
- Between 2004-05 year and 2008-09, total assaults on Police increased by 33 per cent, from 1,869 to 2,481, while serious assaults increased by 38 percent, from 298 to 412. (http://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/bill-assaults-police-corrections-officers-introduced-parliament )
- A cornerstone of the Government's law and order policy was to ensure there were 300 more officers on the frontline in Counties-Manukau by December 2010 than there was in December 2008, and an additional 300 around the rest of the country by December 2011. http://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/384-extra-police-nz-streets
- Due to low Police attrition during the recession, 11 of the 12 Police districts exceeded their staff levels in June 2009. The numbers are returning to the funded level and there will be 600 extra Police by December 2011.
- Surgery for cop attacked with machete | Stuff.co.nz: