This morning we wake to the news that the New Zealand Government has bailed out South Canterbury Finance (SCF) with the sum of $1.6 billion dollars.
Bill English "urged the citizens of South Canterbury to show some gratitude for their savings being saved by taxpayers..."
Well, if it's gratitude you want, you only had to say...meanwhile, back in the jungle, here are some interesting ACC finances to ponder:
- ACC paid (only) $600,000 to the Massey University researchers to provide their Clinical Pathways Review.
- Note: Whilst the name remained, ACC only took on board one recommendation and dumped the rest.
- ACC was granted an additional $600,000 to research into whether Maori were fairly represented. Currently they aren't and no recommendations have been implemented.
- ACC spent close to the same amount trying to prosecute for fraud.
- ACC spent $3.5 million (in one year) on staff travel.
- They have 22 staff dedicated to detecting Fraud (2004) - more than the entire Sensitive Claims Unit.
Oh it's a funny ole world we live in... hard to teach the younger generation about the value of human kindness, how we, as humans, ought to go about our lives respecting each other, treating each other with dignity and respect when... actually, the reality is, this is a capitalist society and if you are ever unfortunate enough to fall into a hole - albeit a victim of a violent crime - then don't expect to be bailed out. You're on your own buddy!
However, if you put some money aside in some Bank or Finance company and you find yourself being shafted, well it's okay - the Government will help.
It's all about priority really.
"There is enough for everyone's need...just not enough for everyone's greed".